Sunday, January 2, 2011

Post the First

So...I decided to start a blog.  I read a lot of knitting blogs and have a lot of time on my hands, so I figure, why not add my voice to the clearly underpopulated world of knitting blogs (lol).  If no one reads this, so be it.  I think it'll be cathartic for me to be able to express myself anyway, especially about knitting.  My husband, who is an absolutely wonderful man, just isn't someone someone I can talk to about yarn.  Although bless him, he does try to at least appear interested when I gush about the great deal I got on my latest Malabrigo purchase. 


Mmmmmm......Malabrigo......


Oh, how did that drool get all over me?  Well now, moving on, more about me, since this is of course THAT post - you know, the one that tells you who I am and how this blog is going to go?  And since I am a fan of lists, here's one about me. 


1.  I am a mother.  This is a big deal.  My son was born February 11, 2010, and is absolutely the most important and amazing thing in my life.  I can't imagine what life would be like without my son, and I don't really want to try.  That's Mr. Cutie pants on the left.  And yes, that is my yarn he's gotten into.  Just the leftover bits though, so don't panic.  :D






2.  I am a wife.  Also a big deal...but don't tell the hubs.  I have a hard enough time keeping him in line without letting him know I actually love him!  :P  Anyhoo - I do.  Love him, that is.  Our second wedding anniversary was in September, and we just passed the 4th anniversary of our first date.  We have our issues (duh - 'cuz we're real people), but far more than enough love to compensate.  That's my hubby.  


3.  I am a knitter.  There will be plenty of pictures of this later.  :)  Although third on this list I promise it will be the most talked about thing on this, after all, knitting blog.  I picked up knitting when I was pregnant - I had this urge to create things for the baby.  At first I did cross-stitch, but since that makes my fingers hurt and my eyes to eventually cross like the stitches they are peering so intently at, I quickly moved on.  I walked into a local yarn shop on a whim and signed up for a class.  The (very very smart) people at the shop had me buy one skein of Malabrigo and one pair of Crystal Palace number 9 straights, and that's all she wrote.  I went to a few classes and from there self taught from the vast resources available on the internet.  


4.  I am a stockbroker.  This is my day job.  Actually, day is a relative term, as I actually work in the call center and am currently on the graveyard shift.  That's right.  If you need to place a trade at 3 a.m., you can call me.  Truth moment - despite the fact that I have 4 security licenses I always feel kinda weird saying that I'm a stockbroker, when my actual job is nothing like most people envision when they hear that word.  But I like my job, my coworkers, and the firm so I guess it's not important.  Oh, and the paycheck.  That's nice too.  


5.  I am the breadwinner.  My husband is the one who cooks and cleans.  Also I didn't take his last name (my son has his name though) - not to make a statement or anything, just because my name is a big part of who I am (see number 6) and I didn't want to give it up.  Also it's prettier than his.  LOL  So, we are a smidge non-traditional, but it works for us.


6.  I am Persian.  This is a pretty important part of my identity.  My father was born and raised in Iran and emigrated to the U.S. back in the late '70s, just before the Iranian Revolution.  My mother as well as my stepmother are both American.  One of the biggest regrets of my life is that I don't speak Farsi.  


7.  I am the eldest child.  I have 5 younger brothers and sisters but no full siblings.  My parents had me, divorced and each remarried and had two more children.  Throw a stepbrother into the mix and I ended up with three brothers and two sisters, each of whom I love, but don't necessarily understand sometimes.  I blame it on the generational gap - I'm much older than all of them save my stepbrother - who from this point on will just be identified as another of my brothers since we were raised together and he's every bit as much a part of my family as anyone else in it.


8.  I breastfeed my son.  It's awesome.  The only issue I have now is that I can't knit while feeding him anymore since he is Mr. Grabby.  


9.  I have project commitment issues.  I fully intend to post to this blog frequently, but should there be any lapses.....you have been warned.  


Thanks for reading this, the inaugural post on my new blog.  I hope you'll come back.  :)

1 comment:

  1. So, it's been 24 days since your inaugural post (which I can now point out since my 20-day blogging hiatus has come to an end). I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete